As general points concerning CE marking can be listed the following ones:
- CE marking is officially referred to as such, and not as ‘the CE mark’;
- CE marking stands for ‘Conformité Européene’ which literal meaning is ‘European Conformity’;
- CE marking must consist of the initials ‘CE’;
- CE marking is a compulsory sign;
- It must be placed on products before they are released on the EU Single Market;
- To bear the CE marking, products must fall within the scope of at least one of the New Approach Directives or other Directives that require its affixing;
- In the event of industrial products subject to several CE directives, the CE marking will indicate a presumption of conformity to the provisions of all these directives.
- The CE marking need to be affixed to:
- all new products, no matter if they are manufactured in the EU Member States or third countries;
- already used or second-hand products imported from countries outside the EU/EEA;
- significantly modified products subject to the CE directives as new products.
- CE marking can be a legal requirement for some industrial products, i.e. part of the national legislation. In that case, these products don’t require any additional marking to indicate that they are legal;
- CE Marking must be visible, legible and in an indelible form;
- If the CE Marking needs to be reduced or enlarged, specific proportions must be followed;
- CE marking need to be at least 5 mm in height;
- CE Marking must be placed to either the product or its data plate;
- If CE marking cannot be affixed to either the product or its data plate, it must be put on the product’s packaging and any accompanying documents.
- Manufacturers can use CE marking in their products’ advertisements or sales literature;
- Sometimes, next to the CE marking can be seen a Notified Body’s identification number;
- Other voluntary certification marks don’t provide any legal guarantee, and they can be placed on the product’s surface, packaging or accompanying documentation on the condition that the CE marking’s legibility and visibility are not diminished. The market surveillance authorities determine the value of such markings;
- Products that are custom-made or intended for clinical investigations don’t require CE marking.
Are you in need of CE marking?
Get in touch with us and we will help you. Visit our product compliance hub to find the compliance solution for your needs. Find the service you need by browsing our compliance marketplace or discover a product compliance management system that can help you reduce your compliance costs and mitigate legal risks.