There are two ways to reply to this question, and both depend on whether you are planning to rebrand the imported product/s or not.
First, if you want to import products into the EU zone and sell them under your brand name and not of the manufacturer's, then you need to know that your responsibilities are the same as those you would have as if you were, in fact, the manufacturer. Therefore, you will be kept responsible for assuring that the product is CE marked and comply with all legislative requirements. For instance:
- You must make sure you have identified all CE directives and standards applicable to your product
- You need to create and store the technical documentation of your product, also known as technical construction file, for ten years
- You have to produce and sign an EU Declaration of Conformity
- You will have to stay updated on future changes concerning all relevant CE directives and standards
- If the product has serial production, you will also need to ensure conformity of each product unit.
Second, if you are planning to sell imported product/s under manufacturer's brand and not your own, then your responsibilities are in ensuring the product is compliant with all the relevant CE directives and the CE mark affixed on it is authentic. Therefore, you will need to do the following:
- You need to know which CE Directives and standards apply to the particular product
- You have to verify that the manufacturer has undertaken all the necessary conformity assessment procedures
- You must place your name and address on the product or package
- If requested by the national authorities, you need to be able to provide the product's technical file
- You must store the product's technical file and Declaration of Conformity for ten years
Are you importing products into the EU?
Get in touch with us and we will help you get your product documentation in place. We at Clever Compliance are experts at product compliance and have helped countless importers meet the relevant CE marking requirements and get a Declaration of Conformity for their products. To learn more about what we can offer, visit our compliance store or explore the features of our innovative compliance management software.